Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Third times a charm?

For the second night in a row we've all been jolted awake by aftershocks. They're very short--maybe 2 seconds--but being a light sleeper, I'm immediately out of bed, heart racing (as it is right now). So its 2AM, I'm wide awake, full of adrenaline. Hurrah.

Half the team sleeps through them. Though, they also sleep through the light switching on, dogs howling, the roosters crowing, and their own damn snoring--which, for one of them, is the loudest I've ever heard. His snore sounds like he's half-way dead, and then suddenly fighting for life (I'm so tempted to help nature take its course). Anyways, In the morning I'm the boy who called wolf. "Aren't you the same Joel who jumped out of his cot mid-dream shouting because you were certain the house was coming down on us." Yes, ok fine, I admit I may have done that... while everyone else was sitting around playing cards in the same room.

Moving on, let me conclude by reporting that if you plan your escape, are quick out of a mosquito net (will take some practice), and do not suffer sleep apnea, you can flee your house before the aftershock ends. Its a remarkable feat, and you aught to be proud of yourself--but just make sure you're not dreaming the whole thing up first, and if you are, that no one's watching you...

1 comment:

  1. What I find amazing is that the aftershocks last only 2-5 seconds. The initial quake that tore down PaP lasted over 35 seconds. I can't wrap my head around such a long duration of complete terror.

    ReplyDelete