Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Time to switch hats?

Every country I visit I make up a new email address because after attending dozens and dozens of meetings, each of which require your contact information, these lists will--inevitably--be sold for spam.

So, its 4 weeks or so into this response and the spam has started to arrive. Mostly its from companies in the States, India and elsewhere trying to sell you tents, pre-fab houses and even celebrex.

In the last week I started to receive a few of the Nigerian-type "my uncle is the secretary to the Minister of Finance and needs to offload a billion dollars" spams. Aren't those boring? So passe. So 2001.

BUT! Then this little delicious morsel of spam arrived. It lifted my heart and confirmed that spammers do have brains and do occasionally use them. I felt like writing back and saying, well done sir, well done! Hey, what can I say, I appreciate innovation...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: johnking@zoomshare.com
Subject: United Nations Head Quarter Accra Ghana
Date: February 16, 2010 12:17:15 PM GMT-05:00

Attention,

I am Hon Dr John A King. I am the United Nations Presidential Task Force
Chairman for Refugees here in Ghana. I here by pass this information to you
that the Member of the Parliament is looking for God fearing person who can
be the Ambassador to the African refugees. The meeting was held yesterday in
the castle House in OSU. Your name has been nominated So that you can be the
Ambassador for the African Refugees.

I want you to forward all your details to us so that we can pass your
details to the United Nation Head Office in England and America so that
United Nation Head Office in England and America can put your name in the
registration Book for this appointment and send you official letter
regarding this appointment.
I wait to Hear from you.

Dr. John A King
The Presidential Task force Chairman
United Nations Head Quarter Accra Ghana
Accra Ghana

3 comments:

  1. Sounds totally legit. I don't see how you can pass up this fantastic opportunity. I pass on my premature congratulations to you, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Are you dead?"

    Yet another spam I received...

    -------------------------------
    From: sanusisanusilamido@consultant.com
    Subject: Dr.Sanusi Lamido
    Date: February 17, 2010 3:15:35 AM GMT-05:00
    To: joelkaiser.haiti@gmail.com
    Reply-To: sanusisanusilamido@consultant.com

    Did you receive the mail I sent to you? Your ATM VISA CARD is ready for Your fund Inheritance but Mrs.Cain sent mail to us that you are dead. Are you dead? Please Call me on this numbers +2347030452958 or reply through my private E-mail: sanusisanusilamido@consultant.com


    YOURS,
    Dr.Sanusi Lamido.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God...i have the same bloody email...when i saw it first i thought it was real...and i know a guy who actually replied and went on sending all his documents to those bloody nigerians hi-tech thieves, fortunately, when i told him i got exactly the same email, he gave up!!!

    ReplyDelete